Refugee Program

Settling Afghan Refugees In Canada

Danby Appliances, together with Jim Estill, the President and CEO of Danby intend to sponsor and support 50 families fleeing the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan.


Supporting entire families is a complex and involved process with many moving parts, several things need to fall into place at the government level before families can begin their journey to Canada. Danby, local volunteers, and organizations have already begun planning and reaching out to those in a position to donate resources, funds and time.


Help support us by donating to our GoFundMe campaign.  100% of any funds is paid directly to refugees to help them resettle.


The federal government is still assessing the situation and how refugee families will be allocated and assisted. For more information on how to support, volunteer or donate, please contact


Share the message with your family and friends. You can directly share to your facebook using the link below!


Five years ago Danby and CEO Jim Estill sponsored 50 Syrian refugees and helped them settle, find employment and begin again. Since then, Danby has assisted the Guelph community at large in the sponsorship of approx. 150 additional people from various countries around the world. It’s no surprise Danby’s tagline is “Do The Right Thing” with this CEO at the helm spiriting a culture of philanthropy, volunteerism and servant leadership.


In our ongoing commitment to Do The Right Thing, Danby appliances has become a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) serving our local community.  A SAH is an organization that has signed a Sponsorship Agreement with the Government of Canada, as represented by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This agreement allows the SAH to resettle refugees through the Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) program.

Based on the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act: You can initiate resettlement for those who are in refugee-like situations outside of their own country AND outside of Canada, and their life would be at risk upon return to their homeland, AND who have no other durable solution.

No, you should not even start any process if the people are still in their own country of origin. Keep in mind that they might be banned from the program if they relocate only for resettlement purposes

The Danby SAH administers the agreement between Danby and Immigration Refugees and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (IRCC): acts as a bridge between the sponsors and the government. The Danby SAH assesses cases and processes applications.

Providing basic financial support – shelter, clothing, food, etc… – and care for the resettled refugee from the welcome at the airport until the end of the sponsorship period, of one year.

Cosponsors need to complete a detailed settlement Work Plan outlining the settlement arrangements put in place for the refugees. This lays out the logistical arrangements of the resettlement, detailing who and how they will help the refugee locate suitable housing, learn the official language, get a job, open a bank account, etc…

Gather a support group – settlement lasts one year with a lot of time needed in the first 2 months for appointments, finding housing and assisting the newly arrived family. The cosponsor needs to show they have a committed group of people (family, friends, neighbours) who will be assisting them with the settlement.

Cosponsors work in tandem with the Danby SAH both during the application process and throughout the resettlement period. This high-level of communication ensures the best possible situation for the arriving refugee.

You do need to deposit money for covering the liability established by IRCC for the resettlement process. Please be aware that it is illegal to cover the financial liability by funds from the refugees.

If the funds for resettlement have not been used within the year, then the remaining funds go back to the depositor after the resettlement process ended.

If you are granted a space $250 administrative fee is charged per application.

You are required to deposit the funds for sponsorship at the time of submission of the application. The funds will be based on the RAP rates as determined by IRCC and are subject to change.

To work with the Danby SAH we expect at least two members of the Co-sponsoring team to reside in Guelph or the local area.  Co-sponsors that have a team of people working with them are stronger candidates to work with the Danby SAH. Co-sponsors must be Canadian citizens or have permanent residence in Canada.

To become a cosponsor, it is important to be informed about the program.  The Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) website provides you with current information on how to sponsor and workshops on important topics of co-sponsorship.  Please take time to learn more at: and sign up to join their e-mail list.

If you would like to continue on to our waiting list, please send your complete home address to  Please note that we always have more interested co-sponsors than we have spaces.  Being on the waiting list does not guarantee the opportunity to become a co-sponsor.

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop