Imagine growing your own herbs & microgreens, and start seedlings of vegetables, fruits, and flowers from inside your home all year round. With Danby Fresh, you can! Whether you live in a house or high-rise condominium, enjoy the benefits of growing your own food from home any time of year.
Experience freshness the Danby Fresh way!
Plus & Eco
Why Grow Fresh?
Growing your own food has many health benefits:
Good for the Environment
Closer to Home
Your food should not have to travel any farther than from your home garden to your kitchen table. This hyperlocavore way of getting your fruits and vegetables proves to be more energy efficient, nutritionally-sound, and economically-viable for our planet.
Cooking with the Family
Many studies show creating a full, end-to-end culinary experience can help kids make healthier eating choice. What better way to show freshness than growing and harvesting garden-fresh herbs and vegetables right in front of your children.
Growing in your Danby Fresh
BloomBoss LED Grow Light
Since 2010, BloomBoss has been at the forefront of light spectrum technology. Producing smarter, higher quality, highly efficient and cooler running LED grow lights, BloomBoss has established themselves as leaders in the industry.
BloomBoss’ PowerPanel LED™ Grow lights are a great alternative to traditional HID and HPS lights. The BloomBoss PowerPanel LED™ 16 Watt VEG & 32 Watt True Sun models provide a longer lasting, more efficient and optimized full spectrum light option that is ideal for leafy greens and herbs growth, as well as the propagation of seedlings and cuttings.
Click HERE to learn more about BloomBoss
What is an “Optimized Full Spectrum Light”?
Light is measured in wavelengths. These wavelengths corresponds to the colours we see. During the process of photosynthesis, chlorophyll absorbs the wavelengths of light to produce energy. However, plants don’t just absorb all wavelengths of light, they actually prefer specific wavelengths for optimal growth. Our LEDs produces the optimal wavelengths the plant needs to produce energy, limiting waste and lowering energy consumption, while optimizing growth.
Keep pots or planters in the provided drip tray to avoid water spillage.
- Plants grow best when the ambient room temperature is between 13°C – 32°C (55°F – 90°F)
- Keep the growing environment clean. Clean the drip try and the inside of the cabinet at least once a month to avoid the growth of mold and mildew.
- If powdery, white mildew forms on plants they can be sprayed with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Use 1 teaspoon of 17% – 35% food-grade hydrogen peroxide to 1 liter of water and only spray the soil as this can cause rot if sprayed on leaves or flowers.
- Do not over-water plants, especially seedlings as they can drown. There is space between the particles of soil that is filled with oxygen. Soil that is constantly wet will not carry enough oxygen and the plants will not be able to breathe.
- As a general rule, soil should be damp but not wet. Check the seed packet for specific information on watering instructions.
- In general, for most herbs and vegetables, the following light cycles are recommended:
- Growth Cycle: 18 hours on / 6 hours off for approximately 20 – 30 days.
- Bloom Cycle: 12 hours on / 12 hours off for approximately 20 – 30 days.
- Most herbs and vegetables have a maturity date between 45 – 90 days. How long the plants take to mature will depend on the type of plants being grown. Check the seed packet for specific information on growth.
- Seeds must be germinated before they will grow and bloom. For best results in germination, consult the tips below:
- Spread potting soil evenly in a pot or tray.
- Spread seeds evenly over the surface of the soil.
- Add enough water so that the soil is damp but not sodden. Using a spray bottle to add water is recommended to avoid over-watering seeds.
- The use of a humidity dome or plastic bag over the seeds is recommended to trap heat and humidity around the seeds.
- Place the pot or tray in a dark place. The bottom of the Danby Fresh Grower is ideal for this purpose.
- Leave the humidity dome or plastic bag in place for 2 – 3 days or until sprouts are visible.
- Remove the humidity dome or plastic bag and place the pot or tray on the wire shelf in the Danby Fresh Grower.
- Set the desired light cycle based on the information on the seed packet using the timer instructions on page 5 of your Danby Fresh owners manual.
- Water your plants as required based on the information on the seed packet.
- Most micro-greens reach maturity within 1 – 2 weeks.