Over the past few weeks, several media outlets (Toronto Life, CTV News, NPR, the BBC, The Guardian, to name a few) have covered my story.
As you can imagine, my email is now inundated with requests and people asking how they can help. Two ways you can help right now are:
Donating to the new GoFundMe campaign Opens in new window I created — all donations will go directly to helping Syrian families settle into new lives in Canada; and/or donating to The Muslim Society of Guelph Opens in new window — our closest ally in helping integrate new Syrian families into Guelph.
Your support is appreciated.
Jim Estill, CEO of Danby
P.S. I’ve listed here some relevant articles and interviews for your convenience. Take some time now to read about the families you’ll be helping.
TORONTO LIFE — When Jim Estill decided to sponsor 50 Syrian refugee families, he didn’t tell anyone about it at first — not his accountant, not his friends, not even his wife… Full story.
— Chris Hadfield (@Cmdr_Hadfield) December 20, 2016
THE GUARDIAN — On a recent snowy Saturday, Jim Estill went knocking on his neighbours’ doors, offering to shovel snow from walkways and driveways for cash. Behind him stood a handful of Syrian refugees… Estill, the CEO of multimillion-dollar appliance company Danby, was acting as the group’s salesman, and helped the refugees land 50 snow-clearing jobs… Full story Opens in new window.
BBC NEWS — One Canadian businessman decided he could do more for desperate Syrians fleeing their war-torn country. So he bankrolled an Ontario town’s resettlement of over 200 refugees… Full story Opens in new window.
Additional media coverage:
- FORTUNE — One CEO Rescues 58 Syrian Families Opens in new window
- FORBES — Today’s Must-Reads For Entrepreneurs: The CEO Who Saved 200 Syrian Refugees Opens in new window
- NEWSER — With $1.5M, the ‘Schindler’ of Canada Has Saved 200 Opens in new window
- GUELPH TODAY — 2016: A look back at GuelphToday’s top stories Opens in new window
- FASTCOEXIST — This Canadian Businessman Is Spending Over $1 Million To Sponsor 50 Refugee Families Opens in new window
- TORONTO LIFE — Q&A: Jim Estill, who’s sponsoring 58 Syrian refugee families, on what’s next Opens in new window
- TECH TIMES — Meet Jim Estill, The CEO Who Put Up $1.5 Million To Give 200 Syrian Refugees A New Life Opens in new window
- SLATE (French) — Un Canadien a dépensé 1,5 million de dollars pour sauver 200 réfugiés syriens Opens in new window
Do The Right Thing — Donate Now