Under the general direction of the Industrial Design Manager, the Industrial Designer will be responsible for collaborating with Marketing and Sales to propose and refine concepts into tangible products & systems. The designer is to make effective use of design tools, testing & research methodologies to create and develop concepts that optimize the function, value & aesthetics of products for the mutual benefit of users, customers & manufacturers. The Industrial Designer will review plans and confer with internal stakeholders to meet project specifications, complete documentation packages and produce visual communication sets.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop new product concepts using a variety of methods
- Analyze and research competitive & comparative products; report on findings and make recommendations
- Design and prepare detailed working plans, charts and/or scale drawings for projects from observation, measurements, sketches and specifications
- Produce detailed, final hand drawings and specifications using dedicated computer software to produce design specifications, including parts lists and cost information
- Revise computer-aided designs and plans to comply with modified specifications made during actual manufacturing
- Complete documentation packages and visual communication sets
- Post-secondary degree in Industrial Design or a related field plus 2 -3 years experience in design in the appliance industry is preferred
- Expert proficiency in the use of design software including Solidworks
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications
- Strong communication and collaboration
- Computer literate, including effective working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail and Adobe Products
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Excellent organization and project management skills, including the ability to multitask in a fast paced product development environment
- Analytical and creative thinker
The Industrial Designer spends most of their time in an office environment in seated position using the computer. May have to go out to the warehouse on an occasional basis. Some travel may be required.
Danby is a proudly Canadian company with a rich history spanning over 65 years. We are currently a leader in the appliance market, producing innovative, quality products at competitive pricing. Our products are marketed under seven brand names: Danby®, Danby Designer®, Danby Diplomat®, Danby Premiere®, Simplicity®, Arcticaire®, and Silhouette®, as well as some private brands for major retail stores.
Danby’s goal of being the largest compact and specialty appliance company in North America is already being realized. Our strong leadership, creativity and innovation provide us with the tools to ensure future growth for many years to come.
At Danby, it’s not just a job, it’s a career.
Here are some of the reasons why being employed with Danby may be your best career move:
- You will have a job where you can be part of change and really make an impact!
- You will have the ability to work with great people who are passionate about our industry.
- You will work for an established company that actually believes in its values and does their best to live them out!
Danby is an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available upon request in all aspects of the recruitment process. Please check out our careers website to see what opportunities might interest you at, www.danby.com/careers.