About the role
Under the general direction of the Industrial Design Manager, you will design and develop the next generation of innovative appliances. As a core member of Danby’s growing Industrial Design team you will be involved in all stages of the product development process, from concept to manufacturing. As an advocate for the value of design, you will be an excellent communicator and collaborator within our wider team of appliance experts in all departments, such as marketing, sales and engineering.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for great design; who has an obsessive eye for detail but who also has a pragmatic approach to problem solving and moving projects forward. You should be well-versed and comfortable with all stages of the product development process. You will take great pride in all aspects of your work and be driven to create simple, beautiful solutions that add real value for the customer. At the same time as having a considered, thoughtful approach you will not be afraid to try and fail.
How you’ll make an impact
There is no such thing as an ‘average’ day in the Danby ID team. The variety of projects means you are equally likely to be found 3D modeling in Solidworks, sketching on the Wacom or getting your hands dirty in our workshop – making use of our expanding prototyping facilities, including a 3D-printer and laser-cutter.
If you are as excited as we are to deliver class-leading products, and think that you have the skills and experience to make a valuable contribution, we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll need
- Post-secondary degree in Industrial Design plus at least 2 years’ relevant experience
- Expert proficiency at 3D modeling in Solidworks, including top-down assembly modeling and advanced surfacing techniques
- Ability to create renderings and presentations using Keyshot, Adobe Creative Suite and Sketchbook Pro
- Manual workshop and prototype building skills
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons or facts
- Excellent organization and project management skills, including the ability to multitask in a fast-paced product development environment
Industrial design at Danby
As keen followers of industry and wider consumer trends, and with a strong user-centered approach the ID team’s role is not only to keep existing product lines up-to-date and offering exceptional user experience, but it is integral to the company’s strategy to focus on innovation and expand into new product categories. Current and future projects include new appliances entirely designed in-house and also collaboratively in joint ventures with technology companies in varied fields.
Attach a PDF (max 20MB) of your resume that also includes pages from your design folio. Alternatively, you can include a link to an online portfolio. Please note that this is an industrial design role, and not a mechanical engineering position, candidates without a folio of design work will not be considered.