Director of Operations,
The Director of Operations is responsible to drive performance improvement across the Logistics and Distribution teams and ensure all activities are in conformance with the organization’s established policies and business objectives and health and safety requirements. This role is responsible for the management and productivity of the 5 warehouse/operations sites across North America, our 3PL providers, customs and logistics including ocean and freight costs. The ideal candidate actively looks for opportunities to improve processes, drive cost reductions while building a team that is excited and passionate about what we do and adding value for the customer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement monthly, quarterly and annual KPI’s, policies and programs for all distribution and warehousing activities.
- Provide leadership to the management team that reports to you, overseeing the movement of finished products and materials in and out of all company operated and 3PL warehouses and assigning specific duties.
- Optimizing warehouse space at all Danby locations, develop and execute strategy to ensure lean and efficient utilization of all resources.
- Lead the customs and logistics team ensuring optimization of duty draw back process in all countries Danby ships into and actively ensure compliance to in country regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Supply Chain to develop short- and long-term strategic plans, including the preparation of annual business plans and budgets.
- Provide strong leadership by demonstrating the mission and values of the organization both internally and externally, as well as ensuring behaviors reflect the companies values by direct employees
- Provide support to direct reports in their management roles; by communicating expectations/plans, coaching their performance, providing opportunities to develop skills and holding them accountable;
- Ensures that all reporting staff members are following health and safety policies and procedures.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives and procedures, to meet cross functional targets.
- In collaboration with the Warehouse management team determine staffing requirements ensuring proper training programs are in place and consistent across all the sites.
- Monitor third party business and suppliers to ensure that they are efficiently and effectively providing the needed services and supplies constantly challenging them to improve service levels and meet cost reduction goals.
- Develop and present plans for capital projects including warehousing, storage facilities, and equipment.
- Negotiates annual rates with outside warehousing companies as required.
- Establishes ocean and freight rates with carriers, trucking and drayage companies on a yearly tendered basis
- Responsible for special projects completion as assigned by Senior Management.
- Utilizing lean strategies and process improvements meet the Reverse Logistics (RL) productivity target through the RL management team.
- Bachelor’s degree or College diploma in Business, Logistics or Material Management related field, or an appropriate combination of education and practical experience.
- Working experience in the Commercial Appliance industry preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ working experience in warehousing/distribution with a North American focus, with 5 years in a senior management role.
- Strong organizational and program management (planning, executing and checking) abilities across multiple projects at the same time.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles/root cause problem solving and execution system wide corrections.
- Excellent communication skills, writing, speaking and presenting.
- Proven team leader with the skills to achieve top performance.
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment.
- Ability to make sound business decisions to the betterment of the company with a focus on financial performance.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software (NetSuite).
The Director of Operations works in the office located in Guelph, Ontario. Travel within divisions and 3PL warehouse locations is required between 15-20% of the time.