Category Manager, Guelph, ON
The Category Manager is accountable for delivering the annual budgeted revenue and gross profit for assigned product categories. This is achieved by thoroughly assessing the market, identifying the target audience, articulating a singular objective with focused strategies, and related tactics in-field.
The Category Manager has the support of a peer group of brand marketers, along with robust selling and supply chain teams, to help achieve the category objective.
The ideal Category Manager is humble, hungry, and smart. They thrive on ownership, display drive (a sense of purpose), and provide mutual support to their peers. A business architect by nature, this individual is comfortable creating a game plan where there is none, likes to balance their time in-market vs. in-office, and knows how to set the sales organization up for success.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Category Management Team with administrative product management support.
- Drive best in class category management principles and customer insights
- Market assessment, including analyzing consumer, customer, competitors, and economic variables
- Crafting strategies that deliver the category business objective
- Proactively managing the product portfolio, also known as life cycle management
- Playing an active role in the inter company idea generation and design of new products
- Identifying and commercializing new products based on customer and consumer insights
- Articulating the merchandised portfolio – including distribution, pricing, merchandising, and sales promotion tactics – that will maximize inventory turns at retail, while winning new business during line reviews.
- Manage the financial health of the categories and their individual products, including desired pricing and contribution margins
- A University Degree or College Diploma in Business, Marketing, or related field is required
- Minimum 1 to 3 years marketing (or marketing/sales combination) experience preferably in consumer goods, of which 1 or more years were in a similar product or category management role
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint ,Word) are required and in addition advanced skills in pulling, manipulating, and analyzing retail data are beneficial
- Ability to develop and deliver a fact-based, logical and compelling presentation
The Category Manager works in an office setting. Travel will be required throughout Canada, the United States up to 30% of the time, including working in China up to 1-2 times a year.
Danby is a proudly Canadian company with a rich history spanning over 65 years. We are currently a leader in the appliance market, producing innovative, quality products at competitive pricing. Our products are marketed under seven brand names: Danby®, Danby Designer®, Danby Diplomat®, Danby Premiere®, Simplicity®, Arcticaire®, and Silhouette®, as well as some private brands for major retail stores.
Danby’s goal of being the largest compact and specialty Appliance Company in North America is already being realized. Our strong leadership, creativity and innovation provide us with the tools to ensure future growth for many years to come.
At Danby, it’s not just a job, it’s a career.
Here are some of the reasons why being employed with Danby may be your best career move:
- You will have a job where you can be part of change and really make an impact!
- You will have the ability to work with great people who are passionate about our industry.
- You will work for an established company that actually believes in its values and does their best to live them out!