Under the direction of the Controller, the Accounting Manager is responsible for monthly general ledger reporting, cost accounting, A/P and internal controls, with some cash management activities. The Accounting Manager provides financial analysis, cost model management, analysis on changes that affect prices and profitability of products and leads month-end closing and reporting.
In addition, will approve and track all customer volume rebate and allowance claims, be responsible for sales tax remittances, prepare and/or supervise the preparation of year-end audit files and work effectively with the external auditors. This position manages the performance of the AP Associates, Accounting Associate and Costing Analyst.
What you’ll do:
Manage the performance of the direct reports:
- Responsible for the hiring, training, disciplining, developing and firing of all direct reports.
- Ensures employees acquire and maintain appropriate training and knowledge in accounting principles and practices that apply to their position responsibilities.
- Coaches and leads employees, monitors and manages performance, develops performance plans, sets and reviews goals on an individual basis and coaches employees on career development. Includes creating training and development plans and succession plans.
- Ensures that all accounting functions and responsibilities are completed accurately and according to established corporate financial reporting timelines.
Responsible for approval of payments to creditors and suppliers:
- Serves as administrator of on line banking systems
- Issues and approves electronic funds transfers. Obtains authorization for second approval.
- Reviews Accounts Payable cheques for vouchering accuracy and invoice authorization and signs cheques as first signer.
Responsible for volume rebates and sale allowances administration:
- Reviews and approves customer claims for rebates and allowances
- Reviews customer agreements and ensures adherence to contractual terms
- Communicates with customers regarding rebate claims
- Issues National Account Summary report on monthly basis, tracking actual versus forecasted sales, and rebates issued to date.
- Reconciles issued rebates with earned rebates and issues Requests for Credit for balances owing, or initiates correspondence with customers to collect over-deductions.
- Liaises with all levels of sales and marketing personnel for issues related to vendor contracts.
Responsible for month end close:
- Reconciles and analyzes general ledger accounts
- Investigates and resolves discrepancies and problems
- Calculates and records adjusting entries as required
- Compiles, retrieves, interprets, analyzes, and reports data as required
- Prepare consolidated financial statements
- Plans and co-ordinates internal audit of year end inventory count
- Prepares year end working papers.
Responsible for acting as a key contact with external auditors:
- Communicates and prepares information for auditors
- Corresponds with bankers when necessary.
Serve as a company resource for taxation matters including consumption and corporate income taxes.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, and a minimum of 4 years accounting experience in a “for profit” enterprise at the management level.
- Must have a CPA designation.
- Experience working with multiple currencies
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Must demonstrate strong business skills related to managing and leading teams, analyzing and interpreting financial statements and company metrics, critical thinking skills, excellent attention to detail and ability to interact with high integrity and confidentiality at all levels of the organization.
- An advanced understanding of Excel spreadsheets and formulas.
- Prior experience within an import/export business would be preferred.
- Experience with ERP system, specifically Netsuite is considered an asset.
The Accounting Manager works in an office setting. The individual spends most of his/her time in a seated position. Data entry is required of the individual on a regular basis. Occasional trips to the warehouse are required as part of job function.
Danby is a proudly Canadian company with a rich history spanning over 70 years. We are currently a leader in the appliance market, producing innovative, quality products at competitive pricing. Our products are marketed under seven brand names: Danby®, Danby Designer®, Danby Diplomat®, Danby Premiere®, Simplicity®, Arcticaire®, and Silhouette®, as well as some private brands for major retail stores.
Danby’s goal of being the largest compact and specialty appliance company in North America is already being realized. Our strong leadership, creativity and innovation provide us with the tools to ensure future growth for many years to come.
At Danby, it’s not just a job, it’s a career.
Here are some of the reasons why being employed with Danby may be your best career move:
- You will have a job where you can be part of change and really make an impact!
- You will have the ability to work with great people who are passionate about our industry.
- You will work for an established company that actually believes in its values and does their best to live them out!
Danby is an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available upon request in all aspects of the recruitment process. Please check out our careers website to see what opportunities might interest you at, www.danby.com/careers.