Under the general direction of the Accounting Manager, the Accounting Associate is responsible for assisting in all aspects of financial accounting including monitoring and tracking bank activity, coding expenses, month-end and year-end preparation and managing petty cash.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for recording bank activity
- Tracks and update bank activity
- Tracks and update letter of credit drawings
- Performs cash receipts application
- Performs cash status reporting on a daily basis
- Delivers bank deposits to the bank, as well as general correspondence to parent company
- Prepares FOB Documents upon absence of claims coordinator
- Covers AP Associate when necessary (eg. Check runs, voucher entry)
- Creates, organizes, maintains, and updates files and records utilizing database and spreadsheet software
Responsible for assisting with month-end preparation
- Reconciles bank accounts and selected general ledger accounts
- Reconciles inventory receipts with letter of credit draws
- Prepares sales tax remittances
- Clears A/P cheques, wires
Responsible for petty cash administration
- Reviews requests for petty cash
- Reconciles and expenses cash flow
- Responsible for assisting with year-end close
- Assists in year-end inventory count
- Assists in preparation of year end working papers
- Maintains an audit trail of documents and records
- Assists auditors when necessary
The successful candidate must have a minimum 3-year college diploma in Business Administration or Finance combined with 2-3 years of direct work experience in accounting. Enrolment in a recognized accounting program is considered an asset. Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices is required along with exceptional computer proficiency, an intermediate understanding of Excel spreadsheets and formulas and a working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, and the Internet and accounting software packages. Prior experience within an import/export business, knowledge with FOB documents and knowledge of letters of credit are all considered assets.
Additionally, the successful candidate must have a strong ability to prioritize tasks and work in an efficient and organized manner. They will have a high level of mathematical skill and be consistently accurate paying attention to even the smallest detail. They will be able to spot inefficiencies and make appropriate recommendations in an on-going effort to improve processes. Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills are essential.
If you are interested in joining a great team please forward your resume to email@example.com. (Put the job title in the subject line please) Although we appreciate the interest in Danby only those candidates that are being considered will be contacted. NO agencies please. Danby is an equal opportunity employer.